Saturday, April 13, 2024

Six presidents among 4000 delegates already registered for Africities

At least 4, 000 delegates have since registered for Africities Conference set for May 17, in Kisumu.

The number include six African presidents who have confirmed their participation.

Kisumu Deputy Governor said preparations for the event is at 85 per cent, with the remaining 15 per cent being infrastructure.

According to the Africities website, at least 4, 000 people have registered to participate, and we are looking into more

DR Mathews Owili

Kisumu is expecting at least 10, 000 delegates to participate in the event between May 17 and 21.

“According to the Africities website, at least 4, 000 people have registered to participate, and we are looking into more,” said Owili.

africities conference
Kisumu Deputy Governor Dr Mathews Owili

Delays

According to Dr Owili, the event will now be held in ultramodern tents after contractors failed to deliver a conference centre.

The national government had allocated money for the construction of the centre which was expected to host the event.

“The contractor delayed, but works are ongoing, and the facility will still be beneficial to Kisumu even after the conference,” said Owili.

He noted that once completed, the centre will boost conference tourism, which will further boost hospitality businesses.

Tents

The organizers have since set up over ten tents to be used during the summit.

The main tent known as the pavilion with the capacity of 6, 000 seater will host the main events. This has been erected inside Jomo Kenyatta International Stadium.

In addition, there are four exhibition tents, adjacent, and four other breakaway tents, with capacities of 1, 000 and 500 seats.

I take this opportunity to ask the people of Kisumu and the region to prepare as well, and find a way of benefiting from the event

Dr Mathews Owili

“There are also tents where people will have their meals, both for VVIP and other delegates, a tent for medical services, and another one for accreditation,” he added.

“I take this opportunity to ask the people of Kisumu and the region to prepare as well, and find a way of benefiting from the event,” said Owili.

He said all hotel accommodation spaces in Kisumu are fully booked, and the organizers are now looking into Air BnB and home stays.

“Business people in Kisumu should also come out and take up exhibition spaces where they will sell their wares,” he said.

Kevine Omollo
Lake Region Bulletin is your one stop multi-media platform for news from Lake Region Counties of Kisumu, Siaya, Homa Bay, Migori, Kisii, Nyamira, Vihiga, Kakamega, Busia, Bungoma, Trans Nzoia, Nandi, Kericho and Bomet. Email: komollo@lakeregionbulletin.co.ke omollokevine@gmail.com

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News